Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sunday Morning Coffee and Memories

Sunday Morning Coffee and Memories

A year and a half ago my oldest son, Daniel, left home. Seven months later my second son, Matthew,  followed suit.
Was I ready?
I don't know. Is a  mother ever ready?
The whirlwind of packing, buying furniture and setting up new homes, left me little time to think about what was happening. Although deep in my heart I knew that the "busyness" was my way of keeping the heartache at bay.
But, just as surely as the night comes, so did my my profound sense of loss.
The loss was born of knowing that we would never be the same; our family for all its antics, joys, hardships, and deep love was changed forever.
I was and still am conflicted.
They are no longer my little boys (but will always be). They are men on a new course.
I find solace in knowing that they're happy and now walk a path with women they love.
A mother can ask for nothing more.
For no riches can supersede finding a soul mate.

And on Sunday mornings,before my daughter and husband wake, I enjoy my morning coffee and blanket myself in the beautiful memories of their childhoods; early morning hockey practices, homework, the din of video games, the bustle of holiday preparations, the arguments, the tears and most of all the sweet sound of laughter and family.

We are not perfect but we are perfect in our love for each other. No matter where life takes us, I find great comfort in knowing that my children know that nothing can break the bond of family.



My daughter Liana and son Matthew

Stephanie (Daniel's fiance) & Daniel


Me and Liana

Mia (Matthew's girlfriend) & Matthew

Liana and Daniel (Liana's boyfriend)

Tony (my husband) & Me

No comments:

Post a Comment