Total Pageviews

Friday, August 20, 2010

The Stain Glassed Window of St Peter's Basilica


In the turmoils of life filled with the constant need to be doing and moving, I found a few moments of divine silence.

St Peter's in Rome is perhaps the greatest tribute to the greatness of what human beings can create. Walking through the threshold of the central doors my eyes were blessed with breathtaking visions of sculptures and paintings.

Turning to the immediate right my gaze fell upon Michelangelo's Pieta; the sculpture of Mother Mary holding Jesus in her arms after his Crucifixion. Centuries after his death Michelangelo's statue moves the people around it to tears. His words resonate in the space surrounding his masterpiece, "I am a poor man and of little worth, who is laboring in that art that God has given me in order to extend my life as long as possible."

With all this beauty one single stain glassed window at the front of the church, aligned directly with the central doors beckoned me. As I walked toward it I saw rays of sunlight pouring through illuminating the sculpture at its base. A dove, the universal symbol of all that is pure, innocent and good gleamed in the centre. It's message was clear, "Have faith!"

2 comments:

  1. Breathtaking, The Vatican is more than just visual wonder, it is testimony and home to one who is greater than life itself.By far just a small wonder in Gods eyes, how much, do you wonder is really out there that our eyes cannot see, our minds not fathom.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Memories of another passage in time transport me..... you and I in Rome

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I look at this picture I feel like I am in a dream, in the future I want to pack my bags and with my family visit this breathtaking place.

    ReplyDelete